Thursday, February 23, 2012

What’s In A Name? Why a Politician’s Character Matters

When I was a teen I was lucky enough to have a great grandfather who lived nearby. I was old enough, and he lived long enough for me to appreciate his wisdom. Grandfather died six months before his hundredth birthday. He told me that the only thing we truly owned in this life was our name. He went on to say that whatever we said, or did was a reflection on that name. I am not going to pretend that I have never tarnished my name, (I am no angel), but I remember grandfather’s words, and they constantly remind me that my name is all I really own. I also am not, nor do I ever plan to run for public office.

During this election cycle I have been amazed at the comments left on sites pertaining to the character of the candidates, and how some think the character of a man is unimportant. If character has no worth then why do we lock up thieves, and con-men? Why are there so many jokes about unethical lawyers, and used car salesmen? Why do very few people trust politicians? Somewhere along the line these professions developed an unsavory reputation. The names of the professions have become synonymous with lying, cheating, narcissism, and unethical. I know I’m old and the attitude of the world has evolved into something that would have been unacceptable in my younger years, and quite uncommon in my grandfather’s day, but where do we draw the line?

If a man cheats on his wife, and family, then he’s a cheater. If he does it repeatedly he’s a serial cheater. Someone who is prone to cheating might not consider cheating on their taxes as wrong. Keeping their promises might not be high on their list of standards to live by. It’s possible that they are the ones who would copy someone else’s test paper, drive away after hitting your car in the parking lot, or not taking an unpaid for item back to the store. How can anyone ever trust a known cheater? It’s true that a cheater can change. People do, but that person will spend the rest of their lives fighting the impulse to cheat. I just don’t think a person with such a character defect should be in a position, (such as President Of The United States), and have the power to affect the lives of so many people.

Another part of character is admitting when we are wrong, as well as standing up for what we think is right. I remember the show ‘Happy Days’ the character named Fonzie couldn’t bring himself to say the words “I was wrong”. The story-lines, and the ability of the actors to pull it off made the subject very funny, and somehow acceptable. We all recognized the trait within ourselves. When we were kids it was easier to deny stealing cookies out of the cookie jar, than to admit that we had broken the rules. I’m not so sure that fear of punishment was the only inducement to lie about our actions. I think it’s more about looking good at all costs. Being considered not stupid somehow trumps admitting to doing something stupid. On the other hand if a person believes something they’ve done was right, then they are bound to stand by their action, and defend it.

There is no difference between living your life by the standards you believe in, and standing strong when it comes to questions about your actions. Of course if your actions, or beliefs were underhanded, or devious, and caused harm to others then defending those beliefs, or actions is redundant. It seems today that the officials we’ve elected live in tremendous fear of being found out. They claim to believe in lower taxes until it comes time to vote. They tell you big government is their greatest adversary until you look at their voting record. They justify, explain, and defend their stupid actions. Very rarely do they admit that their actions over the years have cost the citizenry a secure future. I don’t recall ever hearing a politician admit that the earmarks they endorsed that brought home the bacon to their state hurt all the states. It’s a character flaw. Politicians should be bound by the doctor’s oath of ‘do no harm’.

After 9-11 we heard story after story of the brave men and women who ran into the burning, collapsing twin towers trying to help others. We wept as we heard the recorded phone calls made by passengers on United Airline’s Flight 93, and learned of their courageous actions to save the lives of those who were targeted in the attack on our nation. I never read a comment from anyone on any on-line forum, or news report that said the character of the 9-11 heroes wasn’t important. The names of all those who lost their lives that day are memorialized.

Today we honor the names of those who died, or who were wounded in combat. Everyone of these individuals showed a tremendous strength of character, and honored the only thing they most assuredly owned in their life; their name. Is it too much to ask that those already elected, and the campaign hopefuls display this same strength of character?

No comments:

Post a Comment